Before I tell you about my Rice Paper Roll With Grilled Vegetables And Tofu let me tell you how I got hold of this super easy dish. Last month I went to Khan Market, Ummmm…Khan Market is classy & posh, a place for shopaholics and food lovers. It has variety of food joints, from Family restaurants to European style boutique cafes to casual pubs. It’s a place for everyone, when it comes to eat out; Khan chacha is a landmark of this place, with mouth-watering rolls to tikkas and Kababs..ooh what else you need.
Well this place is also great for up- market groceries, International confectioneries and exclusive bakeries. So while I was roaming around the U-s of this market. Let me tell you it is a large U- shaped market with two parallel U-s and some. A long stretch of small shops with few extensions on the passage selling junk jewelry and clothes. You will find loads of foreigners coming down to Khan Market, as this place serves great international cuisines like Italian, Thai, Lebanese, Mexican in a friendly & cosy set up.
So while I was roaming around, I entered a big confectionery shop, with all international confectionery items, bakery and frozen meet. My eyes got stuck to a pack of Thai rice paper roll lying on the front rack, with no idea of how I am going to use them; anxiously I just picked a Pack with couple of other items. While I was driving back home, I kept thinking what I am going to make out of it. With all these thoughts running in my head, I just got back home and dump the packet in My Kitchen and literally forgot about it.
Couple of day’s back while I was looking for something in My Kitchen, I found this pack again and then again I started thinking now I have to make something out of this. Surfed the internet, looked for some recipes and finally I decided on to my Grilled vegetable & tofu rice paper roll.
Vietnamese Rice paper roll are a traditional dish made with pork, chicken, some vegetables and rice noodles wrapped in Rice paper. They usually serve them at room temperature and use a peanut dip alongside. These rolls are different from Chinese spring rolls which are used with cooked vegetables and noodles and the fry them which are known to be spring rolls.
Coming back to my grilled vegetables and tofu rice paper rolls, they are easy and every bit tasty. I found it difficult to roll them initially but once you know the technique you are spot on. My first attempt was devastating, when I tried to roll them with packet instructions. Then I used my own technique to roll them and it is comparatively easy. You just need to take out the Rice paper on a kitchen towel or on a plastic chopping board. Slowly with spoon start pouring warm water on it, to make it soft. Now slowly invert it over other kitchen towel to get rid of the extra moisture. Now put the filling and start rolling from one end, also bind it from the adjacent ends. Once you are half way put another layer of filling and keep rolling to lock the other edge.
Simple! Isn’t it, your rice paper rolls are ready to be served. Here I am using grilled vegetables and Tofu with some oregano and garlic seasoning. You can use fresh vegetables, fruits or any of your favorite filling in them; just make sure they are at room temperature.
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 20 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 15 Mins
- Serves: 4 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: Vietnamese, Homestyle
- Good for: Breakfast, Snacks, Dinner
Ingredients & Quantity
- 4 Rice paper sheets
- ½ cup green capsicum, sliced
- ½ cup yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 cup tofu fingers
- ½ cup red pepper, sliced
- 1-2 carrots, sliced in length
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 5-7 basil leaves (Optional)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tbs oregano
- 1 ½ tbs olive oil
- ½ tbs black pepper, fresh grounded
- ½ tbs basil
- Salt to taste
How to cook?
- Heat ½ tbs olive oil on a grill pan
- Put the chopped garlic
- Now put the vegetable in the pan
- Season them using half of oregano, pepper, salt and Basil
- Once done remove it in a plate to cool
- Now Grill tofu properly with left over oregano, pepper and salt
- Grill till golden brown
- And keep them a side, if needed put more seasoning
- Now take your rice paper sheet on a kitchen paper towel, I used double folded paper towel
- Place the rice paper sheet on kitchen paper towel slowly pour warm water with a spoon
- Take care of the edges
- Once the rice paper is soften
- Place another kitchen paper towel again use double folded, over the rice paper
- Slowly with your fingers try taking the rice paper on the other towel
- Now place the filling at one end and start rolling
- Bind it from the adjacent ends.
- Once you are half way put another layer of filling and keep rolling to lock the other edges
- Similarly roll the other rice paper sheets
- Your Rice Paper Roll With Grilled Vegetables And Tofu are ready