While having a conversation with my colleagues in office over Lunch, Red Velvet Cake was the topic of discussion and everyone has their opinion on the Red colour of the Red Velvet Cake. So, why Red Velvet Cake has this bright red colour? How this Red colour comes? What is the story behind the red colour of Red Velvet Cake???
So all you curious Red Velvet Lover, this is going to blow your mind!! Actually Red colour in the red velvet cake is nothing but red dye, however the red colour was originally due to non-Dutched anthocyanin-rich cocoa. Before food colouring become the popular way to make the cake scarlet, the hue was much more subtle and was caused by the way vinegar, cocoa, and buttermilk reacted together. The “velvet” comes not from the colour of crushed velvet, but from the smooth texture of fine cake crumb.
With no more delay, here is my version of Red Velvet Cake which is made Red naturally without adding any colouring. The all-purpose flour is also substituted with Bran flour with half the quantity to give this cake a crumby texture. Here I haven’t layered the cake with cream cheese, instead made a white chocolate and Beetroot puree sauce to pour over the cake.
So go ahead and try my version of Healthy, Natural Red Velvet Cake 🙂
Since, Xmas is arriving soon, you can give this cake a try and I am sure you and your guests will love this Natural Red Velvet Cake 🙂
Ingredients & Quantity
- 1/2 Cup Bran Flour
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/3 Cup Beetroot Puree (2 Beetroot + 1/2 Tbsp Vinegar + 1 Tbsp Lemon juice + 2 Cups water)
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil (or any oil with less fragrance)
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1/2 Cup White Chocolate (grated)
- Butter for greasing
- Parchment Paper
How to cook?
- Pre heat the oven at 200 degrees
- Take a deep bowl, add bran flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and salt mix together, Keep it aside
- I another bowl, whisk egg for 2 mins on medium speed, add yogurt, canola oil, Honey (or equal amount of sugar) whisk for 5 mins on medium
- Add beetroot pure (2 Beetroot + 1/2 Tbsp Vinegar + 1 Tbsp Lemon juice + 2 Cups water )
- Now pour wet ingredient mixture in dry and fold nicely
- Line a baking tin with butter paper, and parchment paper
- Pour the mixture in it, don’t over fill the tin, leave some space to let the cake rise
- Bake it for 30 mins at 180 degrees or till the skewer comes out clean
- Once done, let the tin rest for 10 min and then let it cool completely on wire rack
- Now pour the Beetroot sauce ( Beetroot pure + white chocolate)
- Let it cool and settle for some time and garnish with grated white chocolate and rose petals.
If you like this ! Do try my Skinny Red Velvet Cupcakes