Rice is a staple food in our Indian homes. We can go length & breadth when it comes to cooking with Rice. It is such a flexible food that you just love it is every form; be it Biryani, Dosa, Idli, Pulav, Khichdi, Steamed plain and yes how can I forgot everyone’s favorite Rice Kheer.
Weekend is over 🙁 but I have beautiful memories of last last weekend. Going on streets & hogging gol gappe & papdi chaat, relishing phirni ki kullad, having parantha’s on local dhabaas is all I did.
So while I was relishing the phirni on local corner, I thought of improvising this traditional dessert & made Broken Rice and Oats Kheer (Pudding) . As my friends were to come home for dinner & I wanted to make a healthy, cooling dessert after a spicy meal, which is not just traditional but also modern in every sense.
My friend’s were to reach at 8 pm, so after wrapping up the main course Paneer tikka masala & yellow daal for dinner. I made this traditional rice pudding with a twist & re-crafted it in my own way, mixing oats to it. That’s how I got my my Broken Rice and Oats Kheer. Stick around for this yummy recipe.
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 05 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 30 Mins
- Serves: 4 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: Indian, Homestyle Cooking
- Good for: Lunch, Dinner
Ingredients & Quantity
- 1/2 cup broken rice
- 1/4 cup of oats
- 2 cup low fat milk
- 2-3 tbs Jaggery (or Sugar free)
- 1/4 tbs cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tbs cardamom powder
- 1 tbs walnut kernels
- 1 tbs raisins
- 1 tbs pumpkin seeds
How to cook?
- Boil rice in water for 15 mins or till its cooked soft.
- Now add milk & boil it for another 5 mins
- Then add oats to it & boil for about 2 mins
- Now add jaggery, cardamom powder & cinnamon powder & mix well
- Put off the gas
- Now refrigerate for about half an hour
- Garnish with dry fruits & serve chilled 🙂