Mushroom Do Pyaza or Khumb Do Pyaza
Hi Everyone! before I share the recipe of my Mushroom Do Pyaza, let me take you back to the history so that you could brush up your knowledge about this super food Mushroom.
The word Mushroom was originated from Late Latin Mussirio and then Late Middle English named them Mushroom. France were the leaders in cultivating Mushrooms, Some accounts say that Louis XIV was the first mushroom grower. Around this time Mushrooms were grown in special caves near Paris set aside for this unique form of agriculture.
Mushroom is a new super food gaining popularity in India too, with more and more people including them on their platter. It is such a versatile food that you can bake it, toss it, saute it, grill it, toast it..you can do whatever you want to do with them.
Not only Mushrooms are versatile in cooking, its also great source of nutrition, they are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium (8%), riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more
Mushroom Do Pyaza is a north Indian dish which is also called Khumb Do Pyaza, it is cooked with double the quantity of Onions in it. It is a mild spicy and semi gravy dish, which is served with steamed Rice, Plain rice & Chapati of course.
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 15 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 30 Mins
- Serves: 4 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: North Indian, Homestyle
- Good for: Lunch, Dinner
Ingredients & Quantity
- 1 cup button Mushrooms (Cut in big chunks)
- 2 big onions (1 finely chopped + 1 cut in big chunks)
- 5-7 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbs ginger grated
- 1 big tomato
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 green cardamom
- 1 small piece of cinnamon stick
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tbs turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tbs coriander powder
- 1/2 tbs garam masala
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tbs curd
- 1 tbs cream
- 1 tbs Kasoori methi
- 1 tbs oil for sauteing Mushrooms (I use canola oil, you can use any oil as per your taste)
- 1 tbs oil for gravy
- salt to taste
How to cook?
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a pan & saute Mushroom till light brown & keep a side in a plate
- Now in the same pan, heat 1 tbs oil again
- Put bay leaf, cumin seeds, black cardamom & green cardamom. Let them crackle
- Now add finely chopped onions, garlic & ginger
- Saute till onions turns golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till it gets soft, add some water if required
- Now take out the mixture in a mixer jar & blend it into a smooth paste.
- Now pour the mixture again in the pan., put on the gas.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder & turmeric powder with salt, mix well
- Now add tomato puree & cook till it starts releasing oil. ad some water if required
- Now add onion chunks, saute for a 3-5 mins
- Add Mushroom followed by curd, cream & kasoori Methi
- Now let it cook for about 7-10 mins, covering the lid.
Once done! Serve hot with Rice or Chapati.