Stuffed bitter gourd recipe aka Bharwan karela
Stuffed bitter gourd aka Bharwan karela is my recent invention. Now you must be thinking stuffed bitter gourd recipe is quite old, whats new about it? Here comes the punch of this recipe. This is not the traditional stuffed karela, My version is a twisted one with something unique stuffed in those hollow green cylinders.
Couple of days back I was wondering what to make for lunch and when I checked out in my refrigerator I found some bitter gourd. Bitter gourd is something not every one likes and people avoid them generally. And if not well prepared they are quite bitter to eat. So you need to really take care while cooking bitter gourd. They should be properly marinated with salt and then washed at least 2-3 times.
My mom makes amazing stuffed Stuffed bitter gourd and from my childhood I am very fond of them. Taking the leap a head, I thought of making the same old onion masala Stuffed bitter gourd with some modifications and I never knew they going to turn out so well.
So I then scraped the outer layer of bitter gourd, scoop out the seeds and marinated them with salt. While they were getting marinated I prepared my stuffing. Now here comes the twist, for stuffing I am using roasted Bengal gram flour (Besan) with some spices, onions & garlic. The mixture is well roasted and then in order to bind it I added some butter milk. I know it sounded amazing and the same time strange to you. But trust me the mixture itself is so damn tasty. You will actually forget to stuff this in your karela if you taste it once. You can have this mixture with plain roti/chapati as well 🙂
Well here we are making Stuffed Bitter gourd, so lets get back to business and proceed to the recipe. Its tasty, Its healthy and I know you must be dying to know this recipe.
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 20 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 50 Mins
- Serves: 4 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: Homestyle Cooking, Indian, North Indian
- Good for: Lunch, Dinner
Ingredients & Quantity
- 250 grams of Karela (Bitter gourd)
- 1 cup Besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 2 big onions, finely chopped (for Stuffing + Curry)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (Chopped, for Stuffing)
- 1 table spoon ginger paste (For curry)
- 1 tbs garlic paste (For curry)
- 1 tbs sarson (mustard seeds)
- 2 tbs chili powder (for Stuffing + Curry)
- 1 tbs turmeric powder(for Stuffing + Curry)
- 2 tbs coriander powder (for Stuffing + Curry)
- 1/2 tbs garam masala (for Stuffing + Curry)
- 1 tbs Saunf (Fennel seeds) (for Stuffing + Curry)
- 4 tbs mustard oil (for Stuffing + Curry)
- 1 tbs Kasoori methi
- 1/2 cup plain buttermilk
- Corainder leaves for garnish
- salt to taste
How to cook?
- Scrape the Karela (Bitter gourd), scoop out the seeds & marinate them with a bit of salt rubbing over.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, once start crackling add fennel seeds.
- Now add chopped garlic and green chili.
- Then add half of the chopped onion and saute till golden
- Add ginger & garlic paste. saute for 2 mins
- Now add half of all spices – chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder , garam masala & salt with 2 spoon of water.
- Now once the spice separates oil. Add besan ( Bengal gram flour).
- Then roast till it gets a bit golden.
- Now add buttermilk & and mix well. Let the flour soak the buttermilk.
- Cook for 5 mins and remove from gas sprinkling kasoori methi.
- Now heat 1tbs oil in a separate pan, Stuff the Karela (Bitter gourd) with the flour mixter properly & put them in the pan.
- Cook them properly in the pan, fliping time to time till they get golden.
- Now in other pan healt oil & put reaming mustard seeds.
- Once crackle add onions, saute till golden
- Then add ginger – garlic paste, saute for 5 mins.
- Now add all the remaining spice with some water and salt.
- Now put the cooked Karela ( bitter gourd) in the gravy.
- Add 2-3 spoon of water. Cover and cook for 5-10 mins.
- Garnish with coriander. Your twisted Stuffed bitter gourd is ready to be served.
- Serve hot with Chapati.