Karela Keema With Chana Daal (Bitter Gourd Keema)
Karela (Bitter gourd) as the name goes, is bitter & most of the people just hate it or avoid eating it. But after trying this recipe most of you will just fall in LOVE with Karela. Karela Keema With Chana Daal is tangy, crunchy, spicy and yes not bitter:)
As you know Karela (Bitter gourd) has enormous health benefits, it cures respiratory problems like asthma, cold, cough, etc..It also helps in lowering down blood sugar, Weight loss, Skin benefits etc… so make sure to add this in your routine & avail the enormous benefits of this lovely green vegetable 🙂
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 20 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 45 Mins
- Serves: 4 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: Home-style Cooking, Indian, North Indian
- Good for: Lunch, Dinner
Ingredients & Quantity
- 250 grams of Karela (Bitter gourd)
- 1/2 cup chana daal, par boiled
- 2 big onions, finely chopped
- 1 table spoon ginger paste
- 1 tbs garlic paste
- 1 tbs kalonji (Nigella seeds)
- 1 tbs sarson (Mustard seeds)
- 1/2 tbs methi dana (Fenugreek)
- 1/2 tbs khada dhaniya (Coriander seeds)
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tbs turmeric powder
- 2 tbs coriander powder
- 1/2 tbs garam masala
- 1 tbs Saunf (Fennel seeds)
- 1 tbs dry mango powder
- 4 tbs olive oil
- salt to taste
How to cook?
- Peal Karela roughly & wash them with salted water 2-3 times.
- Now cut in to slits & take out all the seeds.
- Then mince them properly in a food processor or grate it.
- Then heat 2 spoon olive in a pan & put the grated karela. Cook till golden brown & keep it aside.
- Now heat 1 1/2 tbs oil in another pan, add sarson (mustard seeds), Kalonji (Nigella seeds) & half tbs Saunf (Fennel seeds). let it crackle.
- Now add onions to it & saute till golden brown.
- Add ginger & garlic paste. saute for 2 mins
- Now add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder , garam masala & salt with 2 spoon of water.
- Now once the spice separates oil. Add golden brown karela into it & let it cook
- Then roast the par boiled chana daal in a pan with 1/2 tbs olive oil
- Cook for 2 mins & put it in the karela. Mix well & cook for 5-7 mins.
- Meanwhile, dry roast coriander seeds, 1/ tbs fennel seeds & fenugreek seeds in a pan & make a coarse powder
- Once the karela is cooked add this powder & dry mango powder in it & mix well. This will add flavors to your dish.
- Serve hot with Chapati.