Curried Cloudy Egg recipe
Eggs are my favorite, but I cook and use it in typical Indian style. We Indians generally like eggs in their full cooked form. Sometimes it is difficult for vegetarians to deal with food, when we go out of Country. But egg is something one can find anywhere and could be a savior when you are out of country, provided you are an eggitarian. I remember when I went to Bangkok for the first time, I was going crazy in the initial days. I wasn’t able to find out Indian food and there was seafood all around me. Those days I survived on fruits and eggs only. Then in the last couple of days a friend told me about an Indian restaurant which serves daal, roti, rice, Indian curries etc.. OMG! I still remember, I hogged like a pig that day. I eat everything Daal, Roti, Paneer, Papad, Aloo jeera, Raita..aah those last days were heaven for my stomach.
You know I belong to a family, where in my childhood we were not suppose to even speak up about eggs 🙂 Funny know! We had a joint family. My maa use to give us boiled eggs in winters, hiding from my father and the whole family. As she always wanted us to eat them for their highly nutritious values. I always loved them as kid, some times it is good to break the rules and follow your heart or I say your tummy 🙂
Now I just love them, I eat eggs almost everyday in winters. Have you ever tried the Thela eggs? its everywhere around here in Delhi during winters. Those chilly days and hot boiled eggs on thelas, they serve it with onions, green chili, coriander and chaat masala. Oh the feel is so nostalgic, I want winters to come soon so that I could enjoy it again. I know I get carried away when I start talking on certain things..:)
Well coming back to our egg recipe for today, It is again a recipe out of my comfort zone. A friend told me about this recipe, Initially I was little reluctant on making as it involves broken raw eggs. But then when I taste it, I loved it! This is also My friends favorite dish and he often makes it. Today I would be making it with my own flavors and twists.
So lets start making My cloudy egg curry, for your information the name is given by me. For this cloudy egg curry, we start with making the curry first. For this I have used onion, garlic, ginger and tomato paste, mixing Indian spices; chili powder, coriander powder, haldi powder, jeera powder and garam masala in it. I also used some raw bay leaves, red chili and black cardamom to enhance the flavors. Now once our curry is cooked well and released the oils. Here comes the tacky part of the whole game, breaking eggs. Now break the eggs with best of your practice in the curry so that the yolk doesn’t break. Aah that sounds tricky! no worries, whatever way you break them, it will taste superb. We just need to cook them well. Now sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper & salt over them so as to avoid the pungent smell of eggs and enhance flavor. Cover with lid and let them cook well for a while.
Once it is done, serve the Cloudy egg curry with plain roti or plain rice. I bet you will go crazy over them, so what are you waiting for?? Oh ingredients and preparation instructions are shared in the post below, try this yummy Cloudy egg curry by yourself today!
Ingredients & Quantity
- 4 Eggs
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbs ginger – garlic paste
- 3 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbs turmeric powder
- 2 tbs coriander powder
- 1/2 tbs garam masala
- 1 tbs red chili (or less depending on the hotness of chili)
- 1/2 tbs cumin powder
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1-2 black cardamom
- 1 red chili, dried
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbs coriander leaves for garnish
How to cook Cloudy egg curry?
- Heat olive oil in a flat deep pan.
- Add bay leaves, black cardamom and dry red chili
- Once they start crackling, add chopped onions
- Cook the onions till golden
- Now add ginger garlic paste, cook for 5 mins
- Add all the spices now with one spoon water
- Now add chopped tomato
- Let them cook until soften and let oil release
- Now add half a cup of water, jut to make the gravy
- Now boil it for 2-3 mins
- Break the eggs in the curry one by one
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper on the eggs
- Cover the pan with lid and let the eggs cook for 8-10 mins
- Once the eggs are cooked completely, it will become like a big omlate type.
- Switch off the gas. Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve your Cloudy egg curry hot with Chapati or plain rice.