Achari Paneer Masala Restaurant Style
Achari Paneer Masala is one of my favourite dishes; I like the tanginess of Achari masala with soft, tender Paneer/Cottage cheese. It’s always my pick when I go for a typical north Indian meal, cause when it comes to order vegetarian dish, Paneer/Cottage cheese comes first in everyone’s mind. Paneer/Cottage cheese is so versatile that it can lift any flavour.
This dish is simple and healthy with earthy flavours which can take you back in times when your Grandma use to make that Achar/Pickle at home. That elaborated cooking, days of preparation on the terrace of my house back in Town. Feeling nostalgic, how with a simple thing comes out so many memories. My maa had this huge aisle of Pickles in our kitchen, she loves making pickles at home and we have all types of pickles in our Kitchen.
This is my version of Achari Paneer Masala, which my family simply loved when they were here last month. I cooked it for the first time and really elevated the dish with my freshly roasted Achari masala. The flavours come out well when you do the masala at the time of cooking itself. The aroma and taste of freshly roasted Achari masala is something to die for, it takes your taste buds to a whole new space.
But if you don’t have enough time, you can prepare the achari masala in advance and can store it for later user. You can also make Achari Soya, potato or mushrooms with the same masala. So you see one masla/gravy and so many options to cook with. Next time do it yourself and make your Achari Paneer Masala Restaurant Style in your kitchen.
Here is a quick video which I made last weekend..
Ingredients & Quantity
- 1 Cup Fresh Paneer/Cottage cheese
- 1/2 Cup or 1 medium sized Onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped Tomato
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Tsp Fennel seeds
- 4 Tsp Black seeds/Kalonji (Divided)
- 2 Tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Dry red chilis
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 Tsp Red chili powder
- 2 Tsp Curry powder
- 1/4 Cup Cashew powder
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1/4 Cup diluted Curd
- 1/2 Tsp Salt or as per taste
How to cook?
- Heat a Pan and dry roast Bay leaf, Mustard seeds, Fennel seeds, Black seeds/Kalonji, Fenugreek seed, Dry red chili, Coriander seeds, Cinnamon stick
- Roast till they crackle
- Once done, grind the spices coarsely, this gives us Achari Pasala Powder.
- Take cashews and grind them into powder and keep aside
- Now keep it aside and heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add Asafeotida/Hing and Black seeds/Kalonji
- Once they crackle add onions and cook till soft and golden
- Then add Ginger- Garlic paste and cook for 5-7 mins followed by Cashew powder
- Now add Chopped tomatoes, cook until soft
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder and curry powder followed by some water
- Then add tomato puree followed by salt
- Add some water and cook with lid for 7-8 mins
- Its time to add the Achari masala Powder now
- Followed by diluted curd
- Mix well , then add Paneer cubes and cook with the lid for another 5-7 mins.
- Your Achari Paneer Masala Restaurant Style is ready.
- Serve it hot with Chapati or Rice.