Mexican Oats Idli
Idlis are south India’s delight & are equally popular is rest of the part of India. Its traditionally accompanied with coconut chutney & Sambhar. But here I am giving it a twist & mixing South Indian with Mexican flavors..These mini Oats idlis are light, healthy & full of flavors that you cant just have them enough. Making it healthy with oats & semolina & giving it a dash of wine for that Mexican taste…Follow the recipe below & just relish them at a great family brunch or a quick cozy dinner.
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 15 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 45 Mins
- Serves: 6 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: Homestyle Cooking, Indian, Mexican, South Indian
Ingredients & Quantity
- For Idlis – 1 Cup flat oats, coarsly grinded
- 1/2 cup semolina (Rava or Sooji)
- 1/2 cup butter milk
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1/2 cup water if required
- 1 tbs baking soda
- 1 tbs mustard seeds (Sarson)
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2 tbs Bengal gram splits (Chana daal)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4-5 cashew, roughly chopped
- 2-3 green chilis
- For Mexican sauce – 2 big tomatoes, finely chopped or pureed
- 1/2 capsicum, log sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, log sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, log sliced
- 1 small size onion, log sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 2-3 basil leaves
- 1 tbs dry oregano
- 1 tbs red wine, can use Indian or International
- 1 tbs olive oil + 1 tbs extra virgin for serving
- 1 tbs chili flakes
- Koshar to taste
How to cook?
- For idlis – Mix oats & Semolina together in a big bowl, add buttermilk, curd, water & baking soda, mix well into a thick batter. Let the mixture rest in sun or in a hot dry place for 15- 20 mins
- Now in a tadka pan, heat olive oil add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cashew nuts, green chili & Bengal grams. Let them crackle, Then put it in the batter & mix well.
- Now brush the mini idli molds with oil & steam the idlis for 15 mins or as per your idli maker.
- For Mexican sauce- Heat oil, put garlic & saute for a min don’t let it brown as we want to lock the flavor of garlic
- Now add finely chopped onions & saute till soft but crunchy. Now add tomatoes with salt.
- Let the tomatoes soften & turn into curry. Now add chili flakes to it & stir.
- Now add bell peppers & capsicum & onion, we are adding it now because we don’t want them to cook much for that crunchy texture.
- Saute for 5-7 mins & add vinegar & wine raising the flame.
- Now add basil leaves & add steamed idlis.
- Garnish with oregano & extra virgin olive oil. Serve hot
- You can use redimix idli batter
- You can make it with any idli batter
- You can avoid adding wine to it