Winters are approaching and its my favorite time of the year; Soothing weather, Holiday time, Cool breeze, Great food.. I love every bit about winters. Especially food and clothes, dressing up in winter is fun. Layering colors with jackets, pullovers, stockings, boots; fashion goes to a different level and Delhi is heaven at this time of the year.
Late night drives to India gate with cool breeze. Hogging momos at Momo wali Aunty in Lajpat Nagar, Manchow soup on local Chinese van, Chole kulche in North campus, Rolls at Khan Chacha..OMG! Delhi is super fun in winters. I always make it a point to stay back in town to have the most of it during this time. Streets are busy with thelewals carrying all sorts of food; boiled eggs, momos, tea, rolls etc. Winters are time when people bump in to these local eateries for quick and hot serves. I am in love with everything around in winters.
Since we are about to welcome winters, I thought to share my winters dinner menu with you and the most important part of the menu is THE SOUP. So by the time winters are completely here, you will have different soup recipes which you can relish with your family and friends throughout the season.
Soup is not everyone’s favorite and people generally avoid making it at home due to its elaborated process. But trust me soups are easy to cook and the best part is you could have it as an appetizer or can make it a complete one pot meal. Soup is a great option for a quick lazy dinner, and this Roasted beetroot and Rosemary soup is simple which you can make watching your favorite show on television. All you need to do is cut the beetroots, tomatoes, garlic, onions and ginger, with rosemary and herbs with loads of olive oil and put it in oven for roasting. So while you are enjoying your TV show, your soup is getting cooked.
Last night when I came home from work, while thinking what to cook for dinner, soup is something my mind and tummy clicked to. It was 8.45pm in my clock and my favorite show My Kitchen Rules was about to start and I had to cook something for dinner. I quickly started looking for the ingredients and found couple of beetroots, which I usually keep in my refrigerator for Morning juice. Beetroot is a super food,whether you roast it whole, blend into a classic soup or drink as juice like the Olympians do; its simply WOW! Beetroot is low in fat, full of vitamins and minerals and packed with powerful antioxidants – a health-food titan.
This Roasted beetroot and Rosemary soup is supper healthy, it has a beautiful aromatic combination of flavors; right from beet to tomato to ginger, garlic to rosemary..ooh what else you need in winters. You can eat it with toast or your favorite Garlic bread. Its naturally thick and you don’t have to add any starch or cream to it. Health & taste together in a bowl is magic baby.
- 2 beetroot, medium size
- 2 tomato, medium size
- 1 onion, small
- 2-3, garlic clove
- 1 inch Ginger cube
- 1-2 strands of rosemary, you can use dried as well(Use it with caution as it has strong smell & flavors)
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 11/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper for taste
- 1 tbs, oregano
- Salt to taste
How to cook?
- Peel the skin of beet & Cut beet and tomatoes into small wedges like shapes
- Chop onion, ginger, and garlic roughly in big pieces.
- Take a baking dish & place everything in the dish, sprinkle olive 1 spoon olive oil, rosemary leaves, pepper, oregano and salt. Roast for about 35-40 mins
- Once everything is perfectly roasted, peel of tomato skin and cool for sometime
- Grind the mixture into fine paste; you can add some stock to let it mix well.
- Now strain the paste in a bowl to give your soup a smooth consistency.
- Now heat a pan with some olive oil or butter as per your choice,
- Put the paste pan adding stock and lemon juice to it.
- Now boil it for 5-10 mins, if you want it thick then reduce to the quantity of stock.
- Garnish with pepper and spring onion. Serve hot with your favorite bread.