In precisely 30 secs you will be going to indulge in totally divine journey. You must be thinking how? I tell you, this mac and cheese recipe is the cheesiest thing you would ever come across. No literally! Being a conscious and controlled eater, I never made something with literally whooping amount of cheese and the outcome is ridiculously divine.
Honestly, despite of serious controlled efforts I couldn’t stop myself hogging this creamy Macaroni Cheese. I don’t know how I went on making this sinful cheesy dish, but I craved for it… I really craved for it…Yes I did!
While I was making the dish I got curious to know the history of this deadly Mac and Cheese. Some sources say this is an American dish some says Mac and Cheese belongs to Italy. But no matter where it comes from, people in Indian love it. We Indians are so adaptive that we can easily develop our taste for any food and make them ours.
I am not very fond of white creamy sauces, I eat them but not that I love them or I am mad over them. But this creamy cheesy Macaroni Cheese is something I can eat over and over again. Pastas are my favorite but I never tried this and I wonder WHY? I have been making pastas in red sauce, pesto and yellow sauces but never tried my hands on this super yummy cheesy creamy sauce.
I just read Mac and Cheese somewhere on the internet while working in my office and since then it was running in my head. Back home I was desperate to make this on my own and then finally made it last weekend at dinner when my friend Neha had to join me and, I finished half of the casserole all by my own. She is a typical Indian foodie and loves North Indian food to the core. When it comes to eating out with her, I need to be patient enough to select a place. It’s not that I don’t like North Indian food, I love it, but I am more of an experimental person and loves trying new dishes and new places. So when I asked her what to cook for dinner her typical answer was Rajma Rice, this time I decided to surprise her and told her I have something different for you.
One thing she was sure about is whatever I am going to cook would be worth relishing, so she agreed on the surprise. She was supposed to come around 7 in the evening, I started doing the prep. Though it doesn’t require much of a preparation but I wanted to chit chat with her over a cup of Tea. Oh yes, she is a tea lover too, tea is the first thing she ask for when she comes.
Alright! Our Macaroni Cheese prep starts with shredding the cheese; This is a version of classic Mac and Cheese but with some Indian touch and add-ons. Here I would be using sharp Cheddar, Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese. I don’t want my Macaroni Cheese to be plain so I am using mushrooms for that nutty creamy bite and loads of parsley. Pasta is something which is always there in my Kitchen, all shapes and sizes but I am maintaining the classic touch so would be using the elbow macaroni. Some cream and milk is also required for the sauce and yes a bit of flour to bind everything.
Once you are done with shredding the cheese you are half way through, this is kind of one pot meal so you don’t have to make much of an effort here. I would be making it in microwave today so the baking part you can do once your guest arrives and while you serve the drinks and snacks your pasta can go in the oven and till the time you finish your appetizers you are ready with your creamy Macaroni Cheese. For the sauce I heated a table spoon of olive oil & butter in a pan and sautéed my mushrooms with onions and garlic. As I want the Macaroni Cheese sauce to be nutty, combined cream, milk and flour with it to get a thick creamy mushroom sauce. While I made the sauce I kept the macaroni to boil in a big container and ting- tong..My door bell rings! Here she is, THANK GOD! I am done with my cheese and sauce.
While enjoying the tea she got caught up with a call and I thought to layer my Macaroni Cheese in the oven, I had already pre heated the oven on 200 degrees and then just kept the casserole for another 45 mins. She was amazed with the aroma of parsley combined with cheese, garlic and mushrooms. Once the casserole is out of the oven we could not wait to taste that gooey, creamy, cheesy Macaroni Cheese. Before we drool over it I quickly clicked some pictures for my blog and plate it. We enjoyed this divine Macaroni Cheese with our college talks and you know what Neha said? This is the cheesiest and creamiest dish I ever had…hahhaha..told you…!
- Prep time: 00 Hrs 15 Mins
- Cooking time: 00 Hrs 45 Mins
- Serves: 4 Person(s)
- Category: Veg
- Cuisine Type: Homestyle, Café, Deli, Italian, American
- Good for: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack
Ingredients & Quantity
- 1 cup shell Macaroni or any pasta of your choice (Shell would be a better alternative)
- 1 packet button mushrooms (200-250gms)
- ½ cup sweet corn (frozen)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs parsley, freshly chopped
- 1 tbs basil,chopped (I used dried)
- 2 tbs all purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs butter
- ½ cup grated cheddar
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1-2 tbs mozzarella cheese
- Salt to taste
- Freshly grounded pepper as required
How to cook?
- Heat enough water with salt, once started boiling add Pasta with 2-3 drops of oil
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees
- Meanwhile heat the pan with oil and butter
- Quickly add garlic and onions
- Cook for 2-3 mins, don’t let them turn golden
- Now add mushrooms
- Once mushroom starts cooking and getting softer
- Add sweet corn
- Cook for 5-7 mins till the water evaporates
- Now add flour, milk and basil
- Add some water if the sauce is too thick, keep stirring
- Once the sauce is done add salt and pepper
- Now strain the macaroni and add in the sauce
- Finally add parsley and mix well
- Cook for a min and switch of the gas
- Now grease the casserole with butter and place a layer of chedaar
- Then place a layer of macaroni
- Now layer Parmesan
- Again a layer of macaroni
- And finely top it with mozzarella
- Put in the oven for 40-45 mins
- Serve with your favorite bread or just like that.